2 Academic Years, taught over 2 evening sessions and a weekend day session every week.
€3,000 per annum (installment payments available, contact us for details)
QQI Level 6 Special Purpose Award in Sound Engineering & Music Production* (subject to validation) (awarding institution - DBS)
Successful graduates of this course can apply for advanced entry onto one of our Full Time courses.
Our Part-time Sound Engineering and Music Production programme gives students access to our professional, conveniently located facilities in a learning environment focused on practical skills. Students benefit from all the facilities and staff expertise of our full-time courses, enjoying a more condensed timetable. Typically, one evening per week is spent in studio, and the other in our Production lab. Students also work on several Studio sessions at times that suit them.
Sound Engineering and Music Production is a focused programme, designed for learners seeking hands-on learning in their area of interest. All crucial elements of the discipline are covered in an accelerated learning environment. Students are provided with the essential knowledge, real-world industry experience and opportunities required to succeed in the music industry. This includes Sound Training Productions, a recording and production company led by graduates and students. This programme is delivered in collaboration with our partners Dublin Business School.
Key themes include:
- Studio Recording Techniques in Commercial Studios
- Digital Audio Workstations
- Electronic Music Production
- Acoustics & Psychoacoustics
- Pre-production, Artist Development and all aspects of Client Work
- Music Technology & Practical Electronics
The busy part-time student can look forward to prioritised access to studio facilities, both in class time and on project work, as well as real-world project experience, examples of which can be seen on our Sound Training Productions website. Software used on the course includes Pro Tools, Logic and Ableton. Visit our facilities web page to find out more about the hardware and studio equipment we use.
Software used on the course includes Pro Tools, Logic and Ableton, see our facilities for hardware and studio equipment.
Online Access: Enrolled students will receive free access to Sound Training Online resources.
The aims of the part-time Sound Engineering and Music Production course are to:
- Provide learners with a practical learning environment where theory and knowledge are used in context, and to provide an opportunity for learners to work with equipment and situations commonly found in a music production setting.
- Develop learners’ understanding of the role of the studio, engineer, producer, and preparatory works (preproduction), when working with a client and other creatives (of a similar level to their skillset) in a production setting.
- Develop learners’ practical and technical skills, working with industry standard hardware and software, and their understanding and practical integration of these within the production process.
- Develop learners’ understanding of the compositional process, and the role of composer, and composition in production, with a focus on electronic music.
- Develop learners’ soft and transferrable skills, preparing learners to work effectively and collaboratively with others.
- Develop learners’ understanding and application of business concepts, project management and marketing in music production.
- Facilitate the development of applied skills by the learner that are directly complimentary and relevant to both the workplace and in a production setting.
- Provide learners with a comprehensive platform for career development, innovation and further study.
*Subject to validation
Apply directly to DBS website. You will then be contacted to arrange an interview. Prospective students will be guided through a brief, straightforward portfolio process (designed to demonstrate your current interest in the area). For more details on the interview and portfolio requirements contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants with suitable experience may be eligible for direct entry into the second year of the Programme, contact us for more details.
This is a private course.
Please view the Fees tab on the DBS website.